Saturday, January 22, 2011

Relationships...Tweet-by-Tweet

If there's one thing everyone can be sure of is that in relationships, there will be an argument or disagreement of some sort; it's a normal part of the relationship. But what is not normal is how those same arguments and the reactions/emotions from them are displayed on a social media billboard for all followers and internet passersby to see. While browsing through my timeline on Twitter, I can't tell you the number of times I've seen someone's emotionally charged tweets and kept reading their timeline like it was a script for a soap opera. But while I'm reading these tweets I can't help but think about two things: 1) Why would anybody want to tweet about how their relationship is hitting a rough patch? and 2) Who actually has the time to tweet in the middle of fighting with their honey or crying about the events that just took place? 


I've been told that I'm not an emotional person, but I like to think of it as being choosy about with whom I share my emotions. Me and my honey have had our problems like every other couple, but one thing we've always been clear about is to deal with them together. Other than that, the fight won't be broadcasted on Twitter for our followers to either be concerned, indifferent, or in worse cases amused which brings me to this point: allowing people a front row seat to see your relationship's dirty laundry does more harm than good and it gives people ammunition to assassinate your relationship. It's pretty counterproductive. 


In addition to people's voyeurism, I think the reason why many tweet their relationship problems is because of their narcissism. Deep down inside they love the attention that they get from their dramatics; it's like an insecure girl putting herself down because she's really fishing for compliments from a guy. If these attention hungry people didn't get an audience I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have much to tweet about. 


Everyone's relationships go through changes, some more than others, but to give everyone a play-by-play of them, it's not a good choice to make. If you are serious about your relationship, then protect it, don't exploit it. Otherwise, you'll be tweeting your relationship death certificate. As for those of you whose timelines are subjected to floods of these kinds of tweets, mute them!

No comments:

 
Powered by Blogger