Sunday, January 2, 2011

Why I Don't Make New Year's Resolutions

Now that the New Year is here, many people are asking the age old question "What's your New Year's Resolution?" Just yesterday, I was asked this question and I responded, "I didn't make any New Year's Resolutions." Following my response, I was told that I'm too young to not have any resolutions and that the New Year should prompt me to self-reflect. While I don't disagree with this theory, I have my own philosophy on making New Year's Resolutions. 

Every day there is something new to discover about life. As each day passes, you'll come to experience and witness things that may cause you to self-reflect and make a decision to resolve whatever is going on in your life. This may mean re-evaluating your life, friends, relationships, etc. Whenever that time comes up, I believe in simply making steps to resolve it and continue going on life's journey to growing as a person. A fresh start can be made whenever you decide to make it and fresh starts are made every day. 

Now I know that many people use New Year's, spring time, and other dates and occasions to make changes in their lives and that's fine. As long as you make the change, then it's all good. However, if I know there's something in my life I have to change, I rather change it then and there instead of marking down a calendar to do it. Call me a free spirit of sorts, but that's the way I choose to approach life. So to all those calendar markers out there, please respect my approach as I respect yours and let's just enjoy this ride called life. 

No comments:

 
Powered by Blogger